Here’s an interesting article Ryan sent me regarding the Right’s rhetoric with some great quotes and examples. Here’s a snippit:
Since the shooting of nearly twenty innocent people (six of whom were killed) in Arizona, there has been a debate on hate speech and whether it had anything to do with that shooting. The right has been dancing as fast as they can in a effort to deny any culpability. But regardless of whether Loughner (the Arizona shooter) was influenced by the violent rhetoric from the right or not, there is little doubt there has been a lot of that rhetoric and it has created an atmosphere where nuts can think they might have approval for violent actions. Here is just a sample of some of the right-wing hate speech:
“I tell people don’t kill all the liberals. Leave enough so we can have two on every campus – living fossils – so we will never forget what these people stood for.”
GLENN BECK“I’m thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I’m wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it… No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong?”
P.S. Who else is tired of the media overusing certain terms once they become topical? It’s like there is some sort of telepathic terminology dispersant system. TTDS. Right now, the words are “toning down” “rhetoric” and “vitriol”.
After the overwhelmingly approved memorial speech from President Obama, nearly every cable network started using the term “pep rally” in a negative way. Just about all of them, simultaneously! Crazy.
- “Political Hate & Vitriol Responsible for Jared Loughner’s Arizona Shooting Massacre Eh … Only 15% Say Yes” and related posts (scaredmonkeys.com)
- Jonathan Merritt: Arizona Tragedy Breathes Life Into Discourse Debate (huffingtonpost.com)
- Full steam ahead. Rush Limbaugh continues the rhetoric unabated by suggesting Democratic Party supports Jared Loughner (viewsacrossthepond.wordpress.com)
- Mitchell Bard: In the Wake of the Arizona Tragedy, Are Right Wing Pundits Telling the Truth? (huffingtonpost.com)
- “Jared Loughner Video – Pima Community College” and related posts (freedomeden.blogspot.com)
- Glenn Beck Threatens to Kill Michael Moore (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)