For the last few months I’ve been having issues with pop-up ads showing up on my blog. Originally I thought it was a bug with my new favorite commenting system, @LiveFyre, but that was ruled out. They were even kind enough to look around my blog for the problem and couldn’t find it.
I’ve done just about all that I can think of. I manually went through my WordPress database cleaning out extra tables and entries down to the bare essentials. I got rid of all my plugins and themes, deleted every orphan database entry, wiped my WordPress install and even got my host involved.
They did some searching and twice found an iFrame with malicious code injected in it. They removed the malicious code, twice and the problem stopped, before coming back each time.
I did my own tests, Acunetix, Norton, SiteLock and M86 security scans all came back clean. One of my Twitter friends, @TheDigitalNinja, did his own scans and found nothing. Continue reading →