Chase and the band invited me to join them on their trip to Concordia where they were to perform at a local fair of sorts. The invitation was taken with great anticipation of an awesome time; and an awesome time was had.
The trip up was a combination of singing to crappy radio music and… well that’s really what we did the whole way up. I showed my skills as a homo taking lead on the Mariah Carey tracks.
I guess I didn’t really know what to expect out of Concordia and in the end, it was pretty much insane. This is a small town, a small, very white town. In fact, out of the 2360 people that live there, only 47 of them aren’t white. That is to say, 98% of the people of Concordia Missouri are white, the other 2% are a mix of all other races.
Yes, there were rebel flags and rednecks galore. We had a good time taking in the sites and making fun, ahem, studying the sociological environment of Concordia, MO.
Just steps outside of the venue were all of the rides and the people. Scouts was to play with two or three other bands but, perhaps in fear of playing after the Clash of the Titans champions, ended up playing alone as the other bands pussied out.
One of the fabulous sites outside The Hanger, the venue for the night, was this lady sitting in her kid’s stroller… smoking a cigerette.
Scouts played a set to a small, interesting crowd and then we headed out for some dinner… But seeing as half of us are vegetarian and the other half not too excited about fair corn dogs, we chowed down on ice cream and kettle corn.
And then were the rides. I didn’t go on any, had all my camera gear plus I was a little afraid of death via carni-engineered ride.
Mark = clearly a little nervous on the Gravitron.
Everyone came out alive. And then we watched the fabulous parade of rednecks and white trash. It was deliciously disturbing. These are the people who will vote Republican not matter what. These are the people who are proud of their ignorance and stupidity.
Don’t believe me? Look at their floats.
The solution so “gas reamage” apparently is using an outhouse to collect methane gas. Classy.
I won’t deny that the guy sitting in the outhouse is pretty hot, but the fact he is even in the outhouse ruins any sexiness.
Oh and how do we spell sponsor? Oops, someone almost forgot that second “s”. Never mind that EVERY SINGLE float spelled “sponsor” as “sponser”. Holy shit…
Then Scouts went back and played a set, I took some pics and sold some Scouts CD’s and t-shirts. My sales skills were pretty hot that night.
The second set was even better than the first and we had more ppl there to enjoy the music. It was a good fun time and then we went out to check out the rides and games. The rides at night were beautiful and allowed us to TRY a few promo pics. I wish I had known ahead of time that it was going to be a fair. I would have brought my tripod so we could do better promo pics. Really kinda pissed I didn’t have it, they would have come out much better as far as sharpness and framing. Holding a camera still for 3 seconds while people are trying to stay still is really quite difficult. I am kicking myself right now for not having the tripod but we will have another chance at that… some day.
I’ll just start bringing it whenever I go anywhere with Scouts.
We headed out of town around 11:30 and went straight to Taco Bell which of course was closed… WTF?! No fourth meal? We ended up having to get some McDonald’s; my stomach was not happy afterwards and all I had was a medium fry.
It was a really fun time. I hope we can go to a fair again sometime soon… not sure how that will happen though. I’d love to do these pictures and be prepared with a tripod, gah!
I am almost finished catching up with my posts though I’m kinda cheating by skipping some stuff. Oh well, it’s my blog and I can do what I want with it.